GO P90 Guide: Mastering the Run-and-Gun SMG for Competitive Play
P90 CS:GO SMG – Close to Medium Range with Lots of Ammo
The P90 in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is a unique and versatile submachine gun that excels in close to medium-range combat scenarios. Its high rate of fire combined with a large magazine size makes it particularly effective for rushing sites or fending off multiple opponents at once. While it doesn't offer the same stopping power as some of the rifles in the game, its damage output is substantial enough to be a threat, especially when aimed at the upper body or head.
One of the standout features of the P90 is its relative accuracy while moving, which enables the "run and gun" playstyle that many players find appealing. The recoil pattern does require some getting used to, but once mastered, it allows for more controlled sprays. The weapon is a popular choice among both new and experienced players due to its forgiving nature and the freedom it offers in various tactical situations. Whether you're a lone wolf looking to make a quick entry or part of a coordinated team strategy, the P90 is a weapon that can fit into many different gameplay narratives.
Key Features & Gameplay Elements
- Versatility: The P90 is known for its adaptability in various combat situations, whether you're rushing a site or holding an angle.
- Damage: This SMG packs a decent punch, offering respectable damage output that can be lethal in close to medium-range encounters.
- Recoil: The P90 has a somewhat unique recoil pattern that players need to master for effective spray control and bullet placement.
- Accuracy: Though not as accurate as some rifles, the P90 offers good accuracy, particularly when moving, making it a choice weapon for "run and gun" tactics.
P90 Basic Information
- Team: Both Terrorists and Counter-Terrorists can purchase the P90.
- Price: $2350
- Magazine Capacity: 50 rounds
- Ammo Type: 5.7x28mm SS190
- Reserve Ammo: 100 rounds
- Range: Effective up to medium range
- Fire Rate: High (Approximately 857 rounds per minute)
- Fire Modes: Automatic
- Recoil: Moderate to high, unique spray pattern
- Kill Award: $300 in Competitive, $150 in Casual
- Reload Time: Approximately 3.3 seconds
- Movement Speed: Fast (230 units per second)
- Kill Reward: Standard kill reward based on game mode (e.g., $300 in Competitive)
- Base Damage: 26 per bullet
- Headshot: 104 damage with no armor, 79 with armor
- Chest and Arm Shots: Approximately 20-22 damage
- Stomach: Around 32-34 damage
- Leg Shots: Approximately 19-21 damage (no armor penetration on leg shots)
- Armor Penetration: 69%
- Penetration Power: 100 units
- Range Modifier: 0.85
- Recoil Control: Moderate to high, requiring practice for effective spray control.
- Role: The P90 is primarily used as an entry weapon for aggressive plays, but it can also be effective for holding close angles or defending sites.
- Economy: Considered a mid-range weapon in terms of price, the P90 is often purchased during force-buy rounds or when the team has enough funds but not enough for a full rifle buy.
- Tactic: Frequently employed in "run and gun" tactics where players move quickly while shooting, it is also used for close-quarter ambushes and rapid site entries.
- Shooting Techniques: Effective both when spraying and burst-firing, though mastering the weapon's unique recoil pattern is crucial for accurate sprays.
P90 Pros and Cons
- Versatility: The P90 is an incredibly versatile weapon, suitable for both offensive and defensive plays. Whether you're pushing into a site or holding a close-angle, its capabilities allow you to adapt to various in-game scenarios effectively.
- High Magazine Capacity: With a 50-round magazine, the P90 offers a significant advantage in multi-engagement situations. This large magazine size reduces the frequency of reloads, allowing players to focus more on aiming and positioning.
- Run-and-Gun Ability: The P90 is one of the few weapons in CS:GO that maintains a relatively high level of accuracy even while moving. This "run and gun" capability is a major asset in close-quarters combat, allowing for quick site takes or retakes.
- Fast Fire Rate: The weapon has a high rate of fire, allowing you to deliver more bullets in a shorter amount of time. This is especially advantageous in close-range battles where the first to land shots often wins the engagement.
- Limited Range: The P90's effectiveness wanes at longer ranges. It lacks the accuracy and damage output of rifles, making it less suitable for long-distance engagements.
- Cost: While cheaper than the rifles, the P90 is one of the more expensive SMGs, priced at $2350. This can be a significant drawback in rounds where money is tight, forcing you to consider cheaper alternatives.
- Recoil Control: The P90 has a unique recoil pattern that can be difficult to control during sustained fire. Mastering its spray pattern requires practice, and until then, you may find it challenging to land shots consistently.
- Lower Kill Award: In competitive play, the kill award for the P90 is $300, which is less than the $600 you would get for most other SMGs. This reduced kill reward can impact your team's economy over the course of several rounds.
P90 Additional Features
- Wall Penetration: The P90 offers limited wall penetration compared to rifles but is still capable of damaging enemies through thinner surfaces. This can be useful when you have intel on an enemy's position and want to apply pressure without exposing yourself.
- Quick Switching: P90 has a relatively fast weapon switch time, allowing you to quickly swap to a secondary weapon like a pistol or knife. This can be advantageous in situations where you need to reload but don't have the time or cover to do so safely.
- Low Noise Profile: Compared to some other weapons, the P90 has a less distinctive firing sound, which can make it slightly harder for enemies to immediately identify what weapon you're using. While not a major advantage, it's a small feature that could work in your favor in certain situations.
- High Tracer Visibility: The P90's bullets have high tracer visibility, making it easier for you to adjust your aim during continuous fire. However, this also makes it easier for enemies to trace the bullets back to your position, so use with caution.
- Quick Draw Time: The P90 has a relatively quick draw time, allowing you to switch to it quickly when coming out of a sprint or when changing from another weapon. This enables you to be combat-ready faster than you would be with some other weapons.
- Low Aim Punch: The P90 is less affected by aim punch (the shaking of your aim when hit) when compared to some other SMGs, which can help maintain your aim during a firefight.
P90 Application & Usage
The P90 is best suited for scenarios that involve close to medium-range engagements, such as aggressive site rushes, flanking maneuvers, or holding tight choke points. Its large magazine capacity and high rate of fire make it an excellent choice for rounds where you expect multiple engagements in quick succession. It's particularly effective when used in combination with utility like smokes and flashbangs to close the distance between you and your opponents, maximizing its strengths while minimizing its limitations.
The weapon is also a reasonable option for force-buy rounds when your team's economy is strained, as it offers a good balance of firepower and mobility for a moderate price. Its versatility makes it a reliable choice in a variety of tactical situations and across different play styles, making it a weapon that can adapt to the needs of both the player and the team.
The P90 is not just known for its in-game performance but also for its wide array of skins that players can utilize to showcase their style. From simplistic designs to elaborate artworks, the P90 offers something for everyone who wants to not just play well but also look good while doing so.
Get your P90 skins at Clash.gg – we have a vast collection of CS:GO cases, earn credits, and get the CS:GO skins you’re looking for.